I admit I’m a little late to the carrot cake party, but hey, that doesn’t mean I’m not absolutely head over heels them now! I’d say these cupcakes are more to the muffin side as they’re more moist compared to a traditional cupcake, but they’re still absolutely delicious, especially when they’re covered in my cream cheese frosting!
I based my cupcake recipe off one of my favourite Youtubers- Nick from The Scran Line (you can find him on his website here), who uploads loads of drool-worthy dessert videos on youtube, mainly amazingly crazy cupcakes.
How to make carrot cake cupcakes
First, you will want to start off by grating the carrots with a box grater (which is a lot easier than a flat grater). The carrots will release a lot of water after grating, so make sure to pat them dry on a kitchen towel before adding them to your batter or you will end up with a really watery batter! I like to have a mixture of finely shredded and larger pieces of carrots so you can still see the shredded carrots after they’re baked, but that’s totally up to you.
It took me nearly my whole 1kg bag of carrots to get 300g of grated carrots, and I know it will look like a heap load of carrots, but after you mix it through and bake it, it doesn’t seem like that much anymore.
In a large mixing bowl, we’re going to add together our flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and cinnamon, then mix to combine.
Then, whisk together your wet ingredients, which is the eggs and oil.
Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry whilst mixing until all the ingredients are just combined. The batter will be VERY thick at this point, but that’s not to worry as it will thin out later on.
Add in your grated carrots and mix till the carrots are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. At this point, the batter will have thinned out a lot more.
Scoop the cupcakes into a lined muffin tin about 2/3 way full and bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Frost them with my delicious cream cheese frosting or just eat them plain! Either way, they’re scrumptious.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
A moist and tasty carrot cake, ready to be topped with cream cheese frosting.
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 300g (8 medium) grated carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 160g plain flour
- 140g sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder Frosting
- 1 batch cream cheese frosting
- Wash and peel the carrots. Grate the carrots with a box grater, then lay them out on a kitchen towel and pat them dry, squeezing any excess water out of them.
- In a large bowl, mix together all your dry ingredients– the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs and oil until the oil is blended into the eggs.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry whilst whisking until no streaks of flour is seen. The batter will be very thick and nearly unworkable at this point.
- Add in the grated carrots and mix till the carrots are evenly distributed within the batter. The batter will start thinning out so it should be easier to manage.
- Scoop your batter into the lined muffin tins and fill them 2/3 of the way through, then bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack, then frost them with cream cheese frosting or just eat them plain!