So if you’ve been keeping up with the latest trends, you’re bound to have seen this ingenious creation circulating around the internet. Potatoes + cheese: we have loaded cheese fries, potato gratin, potato skins, baked potato… But this one, it’s like a hybrid of tornado chips on a stick but elevated into a lunch-worthy dish.
I’m using sweet potatoes for this recipe, and I’m adding chopped spinach to make the potato look more vibrant.
How to make Hasselback Sweet Potato
First off, wash and peel your sweet potato, removing any ‘eyes’. Then, place it flat on a chopping board. Using a sharp pairing knife, gently score some lines on the potato 5mm apart, then go over those lines again but cut into the potato this time. Make sure you don’t cut through to the bottom. Some people use chef’s knife for this, but I find that it is very easy to cut too deep accidentally due to the big blade.
Now, let’s talk about spices. You could just go with the classic salt and pepper, nothing wrong with that, but when you can, why not go big on this? I’m adding all my pantry favourites and you might wonder whether the Indian tumeric and Italian herbs go well, but don’t worry, each of these spices are only used in small amounts that you only get the colour or subtle flavour of it.
I’ve got some frozen chopped up spinach which I’ve defrosted, as well as cheddar cheese which I’ve just cut into small cubes / slices. You could really use bacon, but I’m keeping this meat-free.
Fit the spinach in between the potato slices, then the cheese. If you find it too hard to open up the slits, you can microwave the potato for a few minutes just to soften it up.
Drizzle some olive oil over the top and bake at 180C for 40 minutes until the cheese has melted and the potato is crisp and golden brown.
I’ve topped mine off with some feta cheese to give the potato some saltiness. You could also sprinkle some more grated cheese over the top and leave it in the oven for 3 minutes to melt.
Remember to check out my Instagram page @theculinarycomet for more delicious food!
Hasselback Sweet Potato
The lazy lunch to make for one.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 30g Cheddar cheese
- 20g Feta cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp mixed Italian herbs
- Lie the potato flat on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, score slits of 5mm width, then cut into the potato without cutting all the way through.
- Rub the oil onto the potato, making sure that it gets into the slits as well. Mix all your dry spices together, then rub them on the potato, evenly coating the outside and inside.
- Force open the slits slightly and stuff with the chopped spinach. Then, stuff in the cheddar cheese which has been cut into small slices.
- Lightly drizzle over some more oil, then bake at 180C for 40 minutes until the potato is golden brown and the edges are slightly crisp.
- Crumble over some feta cheese and enjoy!
Head over to my recipes page to discover more yummy recipes you can make or my new pictures page just to see the food I get to eat! Don’t forget to follow my Instagram @theculinarycomet for a daily dose of foodporn.
Tell me what you thought of this recipe!